Mitchell Center Recreational Facility Use Policy for Denison Faculty and Staff
Denison University students, faculty, staff, faculty and staff who retire from Denison and their immediate families may use the Mitchell Center recreation facilities without charge when the Mitchell Center is open for recreational use. (Immediate family is defined as spouse/partner and single children living in your household that are dependent on you for support and are under the age of 20 or under the age of 24 if a full time student.)
The recreational use of the Mitchell Center is an employee benefit similar to other University provided benefits. It is not the University’s intention to operate a public fitness-racquet club. The number one priority of the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation is our students and their programs. The Department’s resources are centered on our students and their programs. Official University events and activities like classes, athletic contests and practices take priority over recreational use of the facilities. Facility users should understand that often entire sections of the building will be closed during these activities for everyone’s safety.
All facility users should have a valid Denison Identification Card to access the Mitchell Center or show building staff if requested. During the Mitchell Center’s hours of operation, the ID card may be used on a door with ID card reader access or presented at the front desk inside the main entrance to the Mitchell Center. Card readers are located at doors on each side of the Mitchell Center. The main entrance to the Mitchell Center is located near the center of the facility, south of the Trumbull Aquatic Center section of the building and adjacent to the indoor track. In the rare case you forget your ID card or until you receive your ID card, simply sign-in at the front desk.
Denison University students, faculty and staff, faculty and staff who retire from Denison and their immediate families may bring guests to use the facility. There is one guest permitted per valid Denison ID. All guests must sign-in at the front desk inside the main entrance, and the guest must stay with the ID card holder while using the facility. Use of an outside personal trainer or fitness instructor is not allowed and is considered to be in violation of our guest policy.
Permanent lockers are available to all faculty and staff. Go to the Mitchell Center Equipment Room and provide a current Denison ID card to register for a locker. You will be issued a lock and a locker number. It is your locker to use for overnight storage and must be renewed each semester. The renewal process can be handled by e-mail. If all locker space is full, you may place your name on a waitlist and you will be contacted as lockers become is available. Locker space is limited. Only register for a locker if you plan to be use the Mitchell Center on a REGULAR basis. Daily use lockers are always available for periodic facility users. Bring your own lock for a daily use locker and remove your lock after your workout.
General Facility Use Policies
● The use of the Denison University Mitchell Center is limited to Denison University students, faculty, staff, faculty and staff who retire from DENISON and their immediate families. Recreational membership ID holders and other designated guests of the University may use the facility at designated times. Note: An adult (at least 18 years of age) must accompany all facility users under the age of 14.
● The University and the Department reserves the right to update and change Mitchell Center Facility Recreation Use Policies as needed.
● Proper footwear is required for various activities. Clean, dry, non-marking athletic shoes must be worn. No street shoes or boots will be allowed. Bare feet are only allowed during activities that require such practice.
● Proper attire must be worn. Anything inappropriate may be addressed by a member of the facilities staff.
● Court use in the facility is limited to appropriate activities that will not harm the floor’s surface.
● Participants are not permitted to move or modify any equipment. Contact a staff member and the request will be honored if possible.
● Report accidents, injuries or equipment failures immediately to a staff member.
● Pets (other than physical aides) are not permitted in the Mitchell Center.
● Facility users are expected to treat the facility and the facilities staff with respect. Any behavior which is considered inappropriate will be addressed immediately. Depending upon the severity of the behavior, access may be suspended.
● Spitting is prohibited except in proper receptacles.
● No alcoholic beverages will be allowed unless it is a private event with prior appropriate approval from the University and the Department. Any individuals suspected of being under the influence of alcohol, may be asked to leave the premises.
● No food or beverages (other than water), will be allowed in recreational areas.
● No bikes, roller blades, or skateboards will be allowed in the facility.
● The Department is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. All personal items should be stored in a locker to prevent theft.
● The equipment room has recreational equipment that may be checked out with a valid Denison ID Card for use in the Mitchell Center. Replacement charges may apply if equipment is abused.
● The Mitchell Center is a non-smoking facility.
● More specific rules governing spaces or equipment may be posted in those areas.
Crown Fitness Room Policies
● Individuals under the age of 14 are not permitted in the Crown Fitness Center. Individuals 16 and over are permitted to use the facility without restriction.
● You must be at least age 14 or older to use the equipment in the Crown Fitness Center. An adult (at least 18 years of age) must accompany and supervise any individual 14 to 16 years of age while using the equipment in the Crown Fitness Center (this restriction does not apply to a full-time student enrolled at Denison.)
● Safety collars must be used at all times on barbells.
● A spotter must be used when performing free weight exercises with a heavy weight.
● Removed and store all weights from machines and barbells after exercises.
● Disinfected all upholstery/machines after use.
● Please use each machine as it is intended.
General Aquatic Center Policies
● No one may enter the pool without a lifeguard present.
● Children under the age of 6 must have a parent or guardian (at least 18 years of age) with them in the water at all times.
● Lifeguards have discretionary authority to require a parent or guardian to be in the water with a child age 6 and older whom they judge a weak swimmer.
● Lifeguards have the responsibility to enforce regulations and have the authority to remove anyone for unsafe or inappropriate behavior.
The Department provides a variety of short-term passes for visitors to campus that are associated with the University (i.e. visiting lecturers, visiting artists, alumni and parents) and the opportunity for others to purchase a recreation pass. Individuals with questions on these passes should contact the Department office at 740-587-5733.