Named in honor of alumnus and standout athlete Louis A. Mitchell '57, Denison's Mitchell Center is the centerpiece of Denison Big Red athletics. The expansive Mitchell Center houses Livingston Gymnasium, the new Trumbull Aquatics Center, Mitchell Fieldhouse, the Crown Fitness Center, and Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse. Mr. Mitchell was the lead donor for both the original Mitchell indoor track construction which opened in 1994 and the most recent facility renovation and expansion that was completed in 2013.
A focal point of the new $38.5 million construction and renovation, is the Trumbull Aquatics Center. One of the finest aquatics facilities in the Midwest, the Trumbull Aquatics Center features a 50-meter long, 25-yard wide competition course; a large diving well with four springboards; and spectator seating for more than 1,000. The facility is four-times larger than the college's former natatorium, Mike Gregory Pool. The new aquatics center is named for Scott Trumbull '70, the pool's lead donor and one of Denison's first NCAA Postgraduate Scholars as a Big Red football standout. Also included in the new construction is an office wing for the college's coaching staff, an athletic training suite, as well as a new sweeping entry and lobby featuring a magnificent Varsity D Association Hall of Fame display and "The Red Zone," a large-scale interactive video experience.
The Trumbull Aquatics Center sits adjacent to the 81,000 square-foot Mitchell Fieldhouse, which was built in 1994. The track area houses an Olympic-sized 200-meter Mondo surface track and four indoor tennis courts, as well as two regulation international squash courts. The facility remains one of region's top indoor track facilities. It has hosted the North Coast Athletic Conference Indoor Championships 15 times since 1995.
Down the hall from the aquatics center and the indoor track, is the home of Denison basketball and volleyball, Livingston Gymnasium. The facility, which opened in 1949 and seats 1,500, underwent a major renovation in 2005, highlighted by new bleachers and chair-back seating. Over the years the venerable gym has played host to local high school tournaments, collegiate postseason contests, speakers, and musical acts. In 1966, Diana Ross and the Supremes performed in front of a packed house at Livingston Gym. The facility is named for alumnus and longtime athletic director, Walter J. Livingston, a 1905 Denison graduate.
Next to Livingston Gymnasium is Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse, or the "Rec Gym" as it is known by most Denisonians. It features three hardwood basketball and volleyball courts, a jogging track and an alternate indoor practice venue for Denison's outdoor sports. Inside of Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse is the new Waddell Golf Facility which opened in 2013. The multifaceted indoor training facility is available to the Denison men's and women's varsity golf teams allowing for year-round training.
The 8,000 square-foot Crown Fitness Center sits on the footprint of the former Gregory Pool. It offers more than 100 pieces of equipment, including treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, rowers, climbers, strength equipment and free weights. Named for 1985 graduate and trustee, Janet Crown, the state-of-the-art facility gives all Denison students, faculty, and staff an opportunity to strengthen the body as well as the mind.
The entire Mitchell Center renovation project was constructed according to the LEED standards, a national benchmark for sustainable design by the U.S. Green Building Council.