Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
No events to show.

DU suffers 1-0 loss to undefeated W&J

Maya Tumiwa  |  Photo by Craig Hicks
Maya Tumiwa | Photo by Craig Hicks

GRANVILLE, Ohio – Washington & Jefferson's Gabby Karr scored off a penalty corner in the 55th minute as Denison field hockey suffered a 1-0 loss to the W&J Presidents on Tuesday evening at Deeds Field-Piper Stadium in Granville.

During the first half of play, both sides were unable to create a shot until the 27th minute when the Presidents' Rachel Buyan had her shot saved by DU's goalie, Teya Adams, on a dive just outside the cage. The match stayed scoreless entering the intermission.

In the second half, it appeared that Abby Scully took the lead for Denison at 37:34 after a deflected shot from Charlotte Godfrey hit the back of the cage. Upon official decision, interference was called and the goal was waived off.

Washington & Jefferson followed with back-to-back shots from Gabby Karr and Rachel Fromm before Karr accepted a penalty corner from Rachel Buyan from 15 yards out and finished it in the back of the cage for the first goal of the match. W&J took a 1-0 lead with less than 16 minutes remaining.

At 61:16, W&J looked to add to their lead on a shot from Alana Boyd, but a sliding save from Adams kept the Big Red deficit at 1-0.

In the 66th minute of action, DU's Rachel Kelsey pushed a PC into Lucy Pearsall from the right side, but Pearsall's shot was saved by the Presidents' goalie Jennifer Dietrich. A penalty stroke followed for the Big Red with Michelle Kabaira lining up to take the shot, but Dietrich made a diving save to her right, taking away Denison's final attempt of the night.

The loss dropped the Big Red to 5-2 on the season, while Washington & Jefferson remained undefeated at 6-0.

Outshooting Denison 10-2 for the match, W&J was led by Karr's three shots and one goal, with Fromm, Buyan, and Boyd finishing with two shots each. Pearsall and Kabaira each finished with one shot each for the Big Red.

Adams played a full 70 minutes in the cage for the Big Red, finishing with five saves. Dietrich tallied two saves and her second win of the season in a full match played for W&J.

DU returns to Deeds Field-Piper Stadium this Thursday, September 20 as they welcome Ohio Wesleyan University to Granville for an NCAC matchup set to begin at 4:30 p.m.