Big Red stuns Bishops in Double Overtime

AC Veith  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
AC Veith | Photo by Jace Delgado

GRANVILLE, Ohio--  Denison's AC Veith scored the game-winning goal on a deflection from Charlotte Happel with 53 seconds remaining in the second and final overtime period, propelling the Big Red to a 2-1 victory over Ohio Wesleyan.

In what was a frenetic pair of overtimes which saw Ohio Wesleyan outshoot Denison 11-4, the Big Red survived to advance to a shootout by drawing a penalty corner with one minute to play.  It was Veith who inserted the corner to Happel at the top of the circle.  Happel received the pass and fired a shot up the middle where it found the stick of Veith who was stationed just in front of the cage.  The deflection changed the angle just enough that the OWU goalie was unable to make the stop.

Denison improves to 6-2 overall and 4-0 in the North Coast Athletic Conference. 

The Big Red was in command throughout regulation but that didn't stop the Battling Bishops from making the most of its limited opportunities.  In the 29th minute of play, OWU's Barbara Welling scored at the doorstep after a penalty corner by Maggie Greer.  It was just the third shot attempt of the game and the third in a series bookended by penalty corners.

At halftime, Denison held a 9-3 advantage in shots and an 8-2 lead in penalty corners yet trailed 1-0 on the scoreboard.

The Big Red broke through with seven minutes left in regulation as Alyssa Bahel tipped in the equalizer off a feed from Happel.

In the first overtime, it looked as if the Battling Bishops were going to complete the upset when Alexis Roberts got one-on-one with Denison goalie Teya Adams.  Roberts took the shot but Adams made a diving save to force a second OT.

The second overtime was wild as the two teams combined for seven corners and five saves, three of which were made by defenders.

The game-winning goal came on the Big Red's 21st penalty corner attempt of the contest.

Adams finished with nine saves for Denison while Ross posted 11 saves for the Battling Bishops.  DU held a 26-15 lead in shots as Maya Tumiwa paced DU with six shots.  Veith posted two shots, one goal and one defensive save.  Virginia Hamilton and Michelle Kabaira also tallied defensive saves for the Big Red.

DU returns to action next Wednesday (Sept. 26) when they travel to Springfield, Ohio for a 4:30 p.m. contest against the Wittenberg Tigers.