Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
No events to show.

Field hockey takes down Earlham, moves to 13-0 in NCAC

Alyssa Bahel  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Alyssa Bahel | Photo by Jace Delgado

RICHMOND, Ind. – After securing the North Coast Athletic Conference regular season championship last Thursday at Ohio Wesleyan, Denison field hockey remained undefeated in the conference after a 4-1 win over Earlham College on Thursday evening at Darrell Beane Stadium. The win moved the Big Red to 13-0 in NCAC play and marked their 10th straight victory of the season.

Outshooting the Quakers 9-1 in each half of action, Charlotte Happel and Alyssa Bahel combined for the first three shots of the first half before the Big Red broke through at the 18:06 mark when freshman AC Veith fed a penalty corner to senior Lucy Pearsall just inside the shooting circle who sent in in the back of the cage for the first goal of the day.

Denison took the next four shots of the match and remained in control after taking a 1-0 advantage, but Earlham connected on their first shot of the contest in the 33rd minute when Sofia Salvatore accepted a pass from Denise Bergdolt and capitalized past DU's goalie Teya Adams to tie the match at 1-1.

Less than 90 seconds later, the Big Red wasted no time in regaining the lead when Rachel Kelsey found sophomore Charlotte Godfrey for her sixth goal of the season to put Denison ahead 2-1 at the break.

Entering the second half, Bahel kept the Big Red in control with three of the first five shots, including her fourth goal of the season in the 47th minute when the senior jammed a loose ball past EC's Meg Murphy to extend DU's lead to 3-1.

Leading 3-1 with less than three minutes to play, Denison tallied a goal on their final shot of the contest when Caroline Little recorded her first assist of the day on a penalty corner to Veith who cashed in on her second goal of the season to send DU to 15-2 on the season, and 69-1 all-time over the Quakers.

Veith led the match with three total points on one goal and one assist. Godfrey finished with a game-high three shots on goal, and Happel and Pearsall each recorded three shots. 

Earning her 15th win of the season in the cage, Adams recorded one save in 70 minutes of action, while Earlham's Murphy made seven saves.

Looking to secure their first undefeated conference record since 1999 (12-0), the Big Red returns to action on Saturday, October 27 when they host Kenyon College in the regular season finale beginning at 11 a.m.