Doyle's career-high isn't enough to take down DePauw

Matt Doyle  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Matt Doyle | Photo by Jace Delgado

GREENCASTLE, Ind.—Powered by Matt Doyle's career-high 37-point effort, Denison mounted a furious second half comeback that fell just short, 86-81 on Wednesday night at DePauw.

Trailing by 10 with two minutes left in regulation, Doyle cut the deficit in half with a pair of free throws and his second 3-pointer of the game.  With 27 seconds left, Doyle drilled another 3-pointer to make it a two-point game at 81-79.

Denison fouled quickly after the inbounds pass, sending DePauw's Nick Felke to the line.  He connected on both to put the Tigers back up by four.  On Denison's next possession, they went back to Doyle and this time he drove the lane and scored in traffic to make it a two-point game once again.

Another quick foul by Denison put Luke Steinhart on the free throw line.  He split the pair giving Denison the ball back with 15.6 seconds and a chance to tie the game.  DU continued to ride the hot hand, but a 3-point try by Doyle with five seconds on the clock was off the mark.  The rebound went off the hands of a Big Red defender, giving the ball back to DePauw with four seconds left.  Felke ended the game by sinking two at the line, setting the final at 86-81.

Doyle was 13-of-21 from the field and 8-of-8 from the free throw line for his career-high 37.  He also added three steals and three assists.  Conor Fenton followed with 15 points and eight rebounds in 30 minutes.  Matt Redmond came off the bench to chip in eight points.  Denison was a perfect 16-of-16 from the free throw line and were 30-for-60 from the field.

DePauw was led in scoring by Nolan Ginther's 20 points and Felke added 19. Josh Hall contributed 12 points off the bench in 16 minutes.

The Tigers improve to 16-8 overall and 10-7 in the NCAC while Denison drops to 6-17 and 3-14 in league play.  Denison's 2018-19 season finale will take place on Saturday (Feb. 16) with a 3 p.m. tip-off at Ohio Wesleyan.