Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
No Event
Thu May 02
8 Wooster
17 vs. #11 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAC Semifinal
Sun May 05
11 Ohio Wesleyan
17 vs. #11 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAC Championship
Wed May 08
6 Concordia Wisconsin
12 vs. #9 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAA Tournament 2nd Rd.
Sat May 11
7 Rhodes
11 vs. #9 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAA Tournament Third Round
Wed May 15
10 #9 Denison
19 at #2 Salisbury
in Salisbury, Md. - NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals
View Full Schedule

Big Red takes down Middlebury, 12-7

Ben Duhoski  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Ben Duhoski | Photo by Jace Delgado

GRANVILLE, Ohio--  Eighth-ranked Denison picked up a 12-7 victory over visiting Middlebury College on Tuesday night at Piper Stadium.  With the win, the Big Red improves to 7-2 while the Panthers fall to 3-4.

Middlebury took a 3-1 lead in the first quarter thanks to goals by Henry Riehl, Jack Gould, and Michael McCormack.  Denison cut the deficit to one after a goal by Brooks Davy on an assist from Peter Pittroff.  With one second remaining in the opening quarter, Pittroff scored a goal with a tough angle, beating the buzzer and tying the game at 3-3 heading into the second period.

In the second, Denison outscored Middlebury 4-1 as Spencer Butler, Owen Armstrong and Davy (twice) allowed the Big Red to take a 7-4 lead into halftime.

Denison's run continued in the third.  With 11:16 left, Armstrong scored on a nice pass by Jake Waxter.  Six minutes later, after a caused turnover by Denison's Peter Doering, Brant Pittman found Wills Hutras for his third goal of the season.

Middlebury came right back with a faceoff win and they quickly got the ball to Riehl who scored with 4:36 left in the quarter to make it a 9-5 Denison lead.

The Big Red took back its five-goal lead with 2:43 in the third when Pittroff found Armstrong on a one-timer in front of the goalie seconds after the officials signaled for the 30-second shot clock.

Two-straight goals for the Panthers between the end of the third and early in the fourth got them back into the game at 10-7. 

With 6:27 left in the game, Middlebury was attempting to clear but Denison's All-American defenseman Ben Duhoski was there to dislodge the ball from John Jackson, giving the ball back to the Big Red.  With the scoreboard in their favor, Denison was patient and with 5:07 remaining the officials signaled for the 30-second shot clock.  After a one-minute slashing penalty on Middlebury, the shot clock re-set and with 2:18 remaining, Sam Asman scored his eighth goal of the season on a pass from Davy, bumping DU's lead back to four.

Henry DeCamp won the important ensuing faceoff and the Big Red called timeout with 2:08 to go.  Out of the timeout, the Pittroff-Davy tandem connected once again, this time with Davy doing the honors to set the final at 12-7.

Denison outshot Middlebury 34-24 and held a 32-30 advantage in ground balls.  DU won 11-of-21 faceoffs and Middlebury committed 21 turnovers compared to 14 for the Big Red.

Duhoski led the defense with four caused turnovers and eight ground balls.  Pittroff finished with one goal and six assists while Davy led the way with four goals and one assist.  Armstrong also notched a hat trick on five shots.  Stephen Paras had four saves in 60 minutes in goal.

Middlebury was penalized three times for 2:30.  Denison was 0-for-3 in extra-man.  Denison committed four penalties for 3:30.  The Panthers were 1-for-3 in man-up.

Denison re-enters North Coast Athletic Conference play this Saturday (March 31) when they travel to Wittenberg for a 1 p.m. start.