GRANVILLE, Ohio—The greatest stories are always told as a trilogy. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Toy Story, The Godfather. Well, maybe not The Godfather (sorry Godfather Part III).
For the third time this season, Denison and Ohio Wesleyan will meet on the lacrosse field. This time, the two rivals will clash in the third round of the NCAA Division III Tournament with a trip to the NCAA quarterfinals on the line. The game will take place at Piper Stadium on the Denison University campus on Saturday, May 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Denison defeated Illinois Wesleyan, 25-9 on Wednesday night to advance to the round of 16. Ohio Wesleyan jettisoned Aurora, 13-5 on Wednesday afternoon at Selby Stadium in their second round contest.
This will mark the 10th time that Denison and OWU will meet in the NCAA Division III Tournament and the first time since 2011. This will be the 102nd meeting all-time between the two schools. Denison holds a 54-46-1 advantage in the series.
This is the rubber match between Denison and Ohio Wesleyan in 2018. The Battling Bishops handed Denison a 13-8 loss on April 15 in Granville. Steven Hildebrand and Luke Leyden tallied hat-tricks for the Bishops. It was a different story two weeks later as Denison exacted revenge with a 14-7 win in the North Coast Athletic Conference Tournament Championship. Spencer Butler scored four goals helping DU jump out to an 8-4 lead in the first half.
The Denison Sports Network will provide live video coverage of Saturday's game beginning at 7:15 p.m. Ticket prices are $6 for adults, $3 for students (ages 13-21) and $2 for children (ages (3-12). The first 100 Denison students with an ID and the first 50 Denison faculty/staff members with an ID will be admitted free of charge.
Denison checks into the game ranked 10th in the latest USILA Division III Top-20 and Ohio Wesleyan is 11th.
- Denison has outshot Ohio Wesleyan 80-58 this season but holds a narrow 22-20 advantage in goals.
- The Big Red is 3-for 9 (.333) in extra-man and the Bishops are 1-for-5 (.200) against Denison.
- Henry DeCamp is 35-for-50 against OWU this season and is 63-93 (.677) in his career against the Battling Bishops.
- In the win over Ohio Wesleyan in the NCAC Tournament Championship game, first-year goalie Reeves McKenney got the start and went on to earn NCAC Tournament MVP honors after a nine-save performance against the Bishops.
- This is the fifth time in the history of the rivalry that Denison and Ohio Wesleyan will play three times in the same season. It happened previously in 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2000.
- Ohio Wesleyan holds a 5-4 advantage against the Big Red in the NCAA Tournament. The first meeting took place in 1986 and Denison lost the first four meetings in the postseason against the Bishops. Since their breakthrough win in 1999, Denison is 4-1 against OWU in the NCAA Tournament.
- In the last NCAA Tournament meeting between Denison and Ohio Wesleyan in 2011, DU's Tanner Smith scored the game-winning goal with 1:17 left in the fourth quarter, giving Denison the 7-6 win.