Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
No Event
Thu May 02
8 Wooster
17 vs. #11 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAC Semifinal
Sun May 05
11 Ohio Wesleyan
17 vs. #11 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAC Championship
Wed May 08
6 Concordia Wisconsin
12 vs. #9 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAA Tournament 2nd Rd.
Sat May 11
7 Rhodes
11 vs. #9 Denison
in Granville, Ohio - NCAA Tournament Third Round
Wed May 15
10 #9 Denison
19 at #2 Salisbury
in Salisbury, Md. - NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals
View Full Schedule

Fast start sends Stevenson past #9 Denison

Camden Bowdy  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Camden Bowdy | Photo by Jace Delgado

GRANVILLE, Ohio--  Stevenson took a 6-1 lead after the first quarter and that was enough to hand ninth-ranked Denison a 13-6 loss on Saturday afternoon at Piper Stadium.  With the loss, Denison drops to 1-1 on the season while the Mustangs improve to 1-1.

Stevenson broke through with the first score of the game on a man-up goal from Will Smith three minutes into the contest.  That opened the floodgates and over the next four minutes, the Mustangs put four more goals on the board to take a 5-0 lead. 

The turnover bug plagued Denison early and Stevenson made Denison pay.  Their sixth unanswered goal of the quarter came from Jacob Tatum on a pass from Smith.

The Big Red broke through with a goal with 10 seconds left in the first on an unassisted goal by Spencer Butler.

The two teams played the first 10 minutes of the second quarter scoreless until Butler posted a man-up goal after Stevenson's Al Falco was flagged for holding.

Seconds before halftime, the Mustangs answered with a man-up goal from Gray McKee allowing them to take a 7-2 lead into the intermission.

Stevenson and Denison played the third quarter even, but in the fourth, Stevenson extended its lead to as many as nine by scoring the first four goals of the quarter.  Mustang goalie Sam Ross was outstanding, posting 15 saves in 60 minutes of action.  He had 10 of his 15 stops in the second half assuring that any potential Big Red comeback attempt was thwarted.

DU was led in scoring by Butler's four goals and one assist.  Brooks Davy scored one goal and had one assist while Patrick Lunt finished with one tally.  Peter Pittroff led Denison with two assists.

Stevenson held a 52-41 advantage in shots and the Mustangs were 4-of-7 in extra-man situations.  Denison was 2-for-7 in man-up.  Reeves McKenney had 14 saves in goal for Denison and Peter Doering finished with three caused turnovers.

The Mustangs were led in scoring by JT Thelen's four goals and one assist.  Smith finished with two goals and two assists while Tatum and McKee chipped in two goals apiece.

Denison travels to Roanoke next Saturday for a 1 p.m. faceoff vs. the 15th ranked Maroons.