Women’s soccer shuts down OWU in NCAC opener

Leland Keller  |  Photo by Jace Delgado
Leland Keller | Photo by Jace Delgado

GRANVILLE, Ohio – Led by first-half goals from Abby King and Leland Keller, Denison women's soccer opened Big Red Weekend with a 2-0 victory over Ohio Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon at Barclay-Thomsen Field.

Highlighted by a 23-5 shot advantage for DU and a perfect 12-0 ratio in corner kicks, the Big Red dominated the pitch from the opening whistle as King and Victoria Nielsen attempted the first two shots in regulation.

At 16:05 in the first half, the Denison attack was victorious when a touch from senior Riley Hammond landed at the feet of Keller who buried it in the far-left corner of the goal for her second goal of the season and to put the Big Red ahead, 1-0.

A trio of shots from Hammond, Dulcie Heyes, and Claire Kolff followed for DU until the 27th minute of play when King accepted a pass from Keller and connected on her team-best fourth goal of the season. The Big Red outshot the Bishops 13-1 in the first half and carried a 2-0 lead into the break.

In the second half of action, Denison posted 10 shots compared to OWU's four while holding the Bishops to just one shot on goal. The Big Red appeared to add to their lead in the 72nd minute when Amy Chiero beat the keeper and had an open look at the net, but Ohio Wesleyan's Lauren Kocsis saved the goal with a sweeping kick that kept the DU lead at 2-0.

Ohio Wesleyan's Emma Hall tallied four saves in the final 21:14 of action but DU's strong first half was too much to handle as the win moved the Big Red to 4-4-3 on the season. OWU dropped to 4-6 in 2019.

King led both sides with seven total shots to go along with her goal. Hammond finished with four shots and Chiero added three. All three players, including Keller, finished with two shots on goal.

OWU was led by Caroline Elliott's two shots while Kortney McGinnis and Julia Dickman each added a shot on target.

Denison's Patil Tcholakian earned her fourth win of the year after posting two saves in 76:19 of play. Hall chipped in a full match effort for the Bishops and collected eight saves.

The Big Red will return to action next Saturday, Oct. 5 when they travel to Meadville, Pa. for a 12 p.m. start with Allegheny College.